1.7 and 7.5 status: we're frozen

Michael Cree mcree at orcon.net.nz
Sat Sep 5 10:26:46 UTC 2009

On Thu, 2009-09-03 at 10:55 -0400, Matt Turner wrote:
> > I have ati cards -- an RV280 and an RV610.  It may be the weekend before I
> > can complete the compilation of the Xserver and run it.
>
> Thus far I've gotten three testers with matrox cards, but only me with
> a radeon. So this is excellent.

OK, I've built Xorg on a Compaq XP1000 (EV67 cpu) with a Radeon 9250
(RV280) graphics card running Debian testing.  I have the Gnome desktop
up and running on the new Xserver.  It's mostly working but the virtual
consoles are corrupted.  Killing the Xserver leaves me with the
corrupted virtual consoles.  They are unreadable but otherwise seem to
be working.  I note the following errors in the Xorg.log (full log is
attached).

(II) Loading /opt/xorg/lib/xorg/modules/libvgahw.so
dlopen: /opt/xorg/lib/xorg/modules/libvgahw.so: undefined symbol:
_alpha_inb
(EE) Failed to load /opt/xorg/lib/xorg/modules/libvgahw.so
(II) UnloadModule: "vgahw"
(EE) RADEON: Failed to load module "vgahw" (loader failed, 7)
(WW) RADEON(0): Loading VGA module failed, trying to run without it

and

(II) Loading /opt/xorg/lib/xorg/modules/libint10.so
dlopen: /opt/xorg/lib/xorg/modules/libint10.so: undefined symbol:
_alpha_inb
(EE) Failed to load /opt/xorg/lib/xorg/modules/libint10.so
(II) UnloadModule: "int10"
(EE) RADEON: Failed to load module "int10" (loader failed, 7)
(WW) RADEON(0): Restoring MEM_CNTL (00000000), setting to 32003200
(WW) RADEON(0): Restoring MPP_TB_CONFIG<31:24> (04), setting to 07

I guess these are linked with the corrupted virtual consoles.

I had built Xorg with the -mcpu=ev67 compiler option so now rebuilding
with -mcpu=ev56 to try it out on a PWS600au.  I have the original tga
card somewhere so can test that, as well as some old SiS type card (have
had to add a definition of the macro MMIO_WMB to sis_context.h in the
mesa dri driver since it didn't have a definition for Alpha) and a
Radeon HD2400 (RV610) card.  I probably won't be able to do the testing
of those until after Tuesday due to work commitments.

Cheers
Michael.