Minifridge

Maciej W. Rozycki macro at linux-mips.org
Mon Aug 23 01:33:33 UTC 2010

On Sun, 22 Aug 2010, heviarti at puresimplicity.net wrote:

> I'm used to beating my head on a keyboard, not pointee clickee.

 You should be able to manage editing "/etc/passwd", etc. with `mv',
`cat', etc. then. ;)

> When I mounted /usr, the whole thing barfed and crashed. I think it may
> need something else running before I can mount /usr... Which is advfs,
> BTW.

 OK, so that's definitely a Digital Unix of some flavour.  Try
`/sbin/bcheckrc' as someone already suggested.  Note that ${PATH} is
unlikely to include /sbin in the single-user mode shell which is less than
useful -- I find it silly, but that's required for Bourne shell for some
standard conformance I would guess.

> Like I said, I ain't got uname, but even worse I have no passwd and no
> paginator (you know, more?).

 Yes, it is like this with DU -- the root filesystem (if separate --
that's what you need to check "/etc/fstab" for) is pretty minimal.  You
need to get the system to mount /usr before you proceed.

 Note that if the system's got C2 security enabled then password
information is managed in a database outside "/etc/passwd" and
"/etc/shadow" and you'll have to poke at that database to get the root
password reset.  After over 10 years I don't remember the details anymore
and chances people here may not know them either as this is considerably
away from how Linux does things.

 I suggest you check with a DU/Tru64 mailing list indeed or try system
documentation available online.  It should be much better than the bits
around the SRM console which I always found a little bit obscure and
scattered around.

 Good luck!

  Maciej