Minifridge

John Halewood john at unidec.co.uk
Mon Aug 23 22:07:59 UTC 2010

>   Do look at your notes. Right now I'm also ro. I'm not sure if mount -
> o remount rw / is the right syntax for mount on that flavor.

mount -u /, or /sbin/mountroot, depending on the age of the system.

>   Also p* (enter) at a prompt results in passwd: not found   which is
> wierd seeing as I can't find a binary called passwd anywhere.

That's bash with extensions - you're on tru64 so it's csh. Try /bin/passwd or /sbin/passwd, although I have a feeling that passwd lives in /usr on tru64. To find out the OS uname should do the trick. Failing that cat /etc/passwd or /etc/shadow and see what's there. Took an old Ultrix system apart using that method- no one could remember the original passwords, but took the password file and threw it at a password cracker (john the ripper IIRC) and it got it in a few hours. Unless, as previously noted, it's got C2 security enabled.

Cheers
John