lots of questions

Maciej W. Rozycki macro at linux-mips.org
Fri Aug 27 00:11:21 UTC 2010

On Mon, 23 Aug 2010, Owen Mann wrote:

> I'd REALLY like to help with this, but the VAXen are a bit down the list to
> add to the build cluster; after the Suns, but perhaps before the SGIs.
> Dunno if it helps you, but I /can/ offer decent bandwidth and 7 consoled
> 4000VLCs...

 If you'd like to help, then I suggest you subscribe to the
<linux-vax at pergamentum.com> mailing list (send "subscribe" to
<linux-vax-request at pergamentum.com>) and watch for things to show up.
Traffic has been almost null for the last couple of months, but I post
announcements about progress there as it happens.

 Hopefully I'll be done with the GCC/Java math thing sometime this year,
although the first implementation may be substandard.  The thing is VAX is
tricky -- it uses a floating point format different to all the other
vendors' CPUs and Java mandates IEEE-754; that implies a translation layer
between bytecode as executed by the interpreter and native functions.  And
GCC is not quite ready for it.

 JBG has been working on the kernel part and posts to the list from time
to time as well, but he's been quite distracted recently too.  I guess the
low number of testers or users affects our motivation too. ;)

 The project may not need a lot of computing power (especially native one;
we still only use cross-compilers) at this stage, but testing is welcome.
Stay in touch.

  Maciej