Booting up after 6 years

Lukas Pustina axp at pustina.net
Mon Oct 25 15:52:38 UTC 2010

Hello AXP community,

after the usual decluttering due to moving offices, I found my old LX164 and
became nostalgic. I was wondering, if I could get the old lady up and
running again. By my surprise, she booted right into SRM console and I was
even able to start aboot. Now, my enthusiasm is back and I want to get her
updated and serving a real purpose.

The last time I used the system is more then 6 years past and I guess many
things changed. I was hoping you guys can get me back on speed about
AXP-Linux. So far, I have the following - broad - question:
1. Is SRM still the firmware to use?
2. Is aboot still the boot-loader to use?
3. What is the most recent distribution to use? It seems like almost
everybody dropped the alpha ports.

I happy to get my alpha back,
thanks in advance,
Lukas