still someone here ?

Lamar Owen lowen at pari.edu
Wed Apr 8 13:46:42 UTC 2015

On 04/07/2015 05:30 AM, Alpha wrote:

> i'm wondering if the Alpha guys still meet here
There are too many puns in that statement to even get started....

Honestly, I had pretty much forgotten that I was still subscribed to
this list.  The one fairly hefty Alpha I still have available to me is
an old AS2100 (Sable) with four 275MHz CPU's and 1GB of RAM.  It was a
beast back in the day, that's for sure.  The problem is that SMP on
Sable hasn't worked in a really long time, since about kernel 2.2 days.
And SMP is the only thing that makes that box attractive.  I have a
couple of Alpha motherboards, one being an SX and one an LX, I think.
Both are, I think, 533MHz CPUs.  I still have some of the Matrox video
cards that work with them, as well as a dual SCSI/ethernet combo card
that is bootable with the AlphaPC boards as well as the AS2100.  I still
have a PCI DAC960 card in the AS2100, and even have the previous EISA
DAC960 RAID controller, as the AS2100 has two RAID-connected
Storageworks backplanes.

I did a Stage 1 Gentoo on the AS2100 about ten years ago (took a month),
but ended up with a Debian with a 2.2 kernel on it, so that SMP would work.

Performance for the day was quite good, but that day is long past,
unfortunately.