Filling out PDF forms?

Tony Baechler tony at baechler.net
Wed Apr 7 08:00:52 UTC 2004

At 12:27 PM 4/6/04 +0200, you wrote:
>Where I work, we have all the official request forms as
>PDF and MS Word files on an intranet server.  Since I highly doubt
>that there is a way to fill out MS Word based forms

Hi.  Well, this is probably not an option for you, but why not convert the
Word files to plain text and fill them out?  Word can read plain text files
when uploaded back to the server, mailed, or whatever.  I know there is a
program for Linux to convert documents with a command line but I am not
sure what.  You could try your luck with Abiword but that requires a GUI
I'm sure.  The other way might be to use xpdf to extract the plain text
from the pdf unless the pdf is encrypted or protected against
printing.  Sometimes "pdftotext -raw" works better.  I have tried this with
one pdf form and the output was useable, albeit in plain text.