Screen can't get descriptor of console

Lee Maschmeyer lee_maschmeyer at wayne.edu
Wed Aug 11 19:39:51 UTC 2004

Hi Folks,

I'm not on Linux right now so can't double check wording, but whenever I
start Screen or create a new screen I get a return code of 1 and an error
message that Screen can't get a descriptor for the console. After that
everything seems to work fine. If I'm root, this doesn't happen. I'm running
brltty with no speech, using the Linux screen driver in brltty and the
version of screen that comes with my distro. I don't remember whether this
started happening with Red Hat 9, but it's been true of both Fedora 1 and 2.

Has anyone else seen this? Is there an easy way to fix it?

Thanks much,

Lee