Changing the behaviour of ls, possibly via a script

Lorenzo Prince lorenzo at prince.homelinux.org
Fri Aug 13 20:29:32 UTC 2004

I need to possibly make a script or in some other way change the behaviour of ls
so that something like

-rw-r--r--   1 lorenzo lorenzo     16106 Dec 21  1997 pongmey.tet

looks more like

pongmey.tet		-rw-r--r--   lorenzo lorenzo

Is there an easy way to do this or would I have to use something like awk or sed,
which I know little or nothing about?  Would I need to completely write a program
from scratch to do this, or does one already exist, or could this possibly be
done through a relatively simple script?

Thanks for any help,
PRINCE