raid, bios

Karl Dahlke eklhad at comcast.net
Fri Aug 27 06:21:10 UTC 2004

I haven't done it personally,
but I watched a friend set this up,
and yes, you definitely have to use bios to set up
how the raid controller works.
Not just linux, he had the same problem with windows.
The disks just don't look right if you don't set things up one way or the other,
raided or independent, and yes, they do come out hde, or something like that,
when raided,
not hda as you'd expect.
And they have to be on the third or fourth controller,
not the first and second, as you'd expect.
Sorry I can't be more specific,
but that's what I remember.
Honestly, it annoyed me so much that I just ignored the chip
and went back to software raid.
It works pretty well in LInux, and it's something I already understood.
Though don't get me wrong, there are big advantages to hardware raid,
especially if your disks are large, and mounted in write mode most of the time.

Karl