free text to speech

Gustafsson Kristoffer (elev) kristoffer.gustafsson at tranemo.org
Thu Dec 9 08:58:13 UTC 2004

Hello!
some time ago someone asked about free text to speech for linux.
Personally I recomend to use the mbrola databases. they sound very good and there are many suported languages.
These can be used with festival, but I don't know what screen reader software to use with it.
is emacspeak supported?
I also know that festival lite can convert festvox voices to the flite voice format and use these voices instead of the awful voice, but I don't know how good that works with mbrola.

 I don't even know how to change the voice, but prehaps someone else could help with this.
another option is to ask me for the viavoice binaries I ave on one of my computers, but I don't know if it is possible to get it working abovve redhat 8.
Is there any way to get that working?
or can I buy viavoice?

kristoffer