Would Emacs Help?

Janina Sajka janina at rednote.net
Sun Dec 26 15:30:35 UTC 2004

herzog at frontiernet.net writes:
> So what is a useful thing for the blind to use to hear Linux.  Is there a
> screen reader?
> Will

The most commonly used screen reader on Linux is called Speakup, and you
will find it at:

http://www.linux-speakup.org

There are others, such as yasr.

Emacspeak is an excellent tool. Raman just insists that it is not a
screen reader because audio functionality is directly integrated with
Emacs. In other words, it doesn't rely on screen text to construct the
interface.

Another audio interface to Emacs is speech-dispatcher:

http://www.brailcom.org

There are still more. So, you have many good options for your wife. And,
perhaps the best news, is that you can save lots of money.