Braille was: Re: Fwd: Via-voice

Mario Lang mlang at teleweb.at
Thu Feb 26 12:06:30 UTC 2004

Kenny Hitt <kenny at hittsjunk.net> writes:

> On Wed, Feb 18, 2004 at 02:29:53PM -0500, Lloyd Rasmussen wrote:
> <Snip>
>>
>> Braille is the solution to the digital divide.
>> Lloyd Rasmussen, Senior Staff Engineer
>> National Library Service f/t Blind and Physically Handicapped
>> Library of Congress    (202) 707-0535   <http://www.loc.gov/nls/>
>> HOME:  <http://lras.home.sprynet.com>
>> The opinions expressed here are my own and do not necessarily represent
>> those of NLS.
>>

> I would agree, but how can someone like me who doesn't have four
> thousand dollars or more get a braille display?  Any one know where I
> can get a loan to buy one?

I'd suggest you move to a country where they have
a bit more support for people with disabilities.  In certain
countries here in Europe for instance, it is perfectly normal
for a blind person to get a braille display fully paid
by either governmental institutions, or some mix of them, and
private organisations.
I have one at work (80 cell), and one at home (40 cell).  both are effectively
my property, although I only had to pay EUR 400 out of
my own pocket, for the private device.

--
CYa,