Looking for a Programming Project which would really benefit blind people

Charles McCathieNevile charles at w3.org
Fri Feb 27 00:39:00 UTC 2004

Hi all,

An idea for a project: an editor that produces decent quality styled HTML,
and uses audio styling to provide something parallel to wysiwyg editing - so
that people don't need to read tag soup to edit HTML documents. It could be
done in emacspeak, but for many users a full emacs environment is too
powerful and complex already, and a purpose-built application might be
interesting.

(You could also look at Amaya's "alternative view" and its structured editing
model stripping down the rest of the interface, and at the same time probably
contributing to improving Amaya's accessibility in general through work on
the relevant codebase).

Finally, the simplest linux installation I know of is Blindux (although it is
only available in Spanish at the moment). It provides a simple, limited
environment, uses pine for email (which is pretty much virus-proof in my
experience), has web browsing, simple file management, pico for basic
editing, and could really use Apache for sharing documents and an editor that
helped make structured documents. (Why shouldn't it be easy for history
students to hand in a piece of work that has a proper stylesheet applied to a
structured document and looks neat, without learning arcane markup that
sighted people never use?)

just some ideas

Chaals