extracting .rar files in Linux?

Hart Larry chime at hubert-humphrey.com
Sat Jul 24 03:19:49 UTC 2004

Well, some weeks ago I inquired here about why I couldn't extract .rar files?
I did receive some valuable responses.  I discovered that I can only extract
archives with .r01 style, but not the newer part01.rar.  I have been
googling--and it looks like only windows can handle these?  I have read the
commandline options for rar and unrar, both from the same author.  Are their
replacement programs which would better handle these?
I also have a linux version of par2 but I don't know if there are ways to
extract?  Thanks so much in advance.
O, one of the options is to use   vn for old style names.  Well, this didn't
work either
Hart