The key to Fedora sound?

Lee Maschmeyer lee_maschmeyer at wayne.edu
Sat Jun 5 04:47:27 UTC 2004

Not sure what was necessary and for how many people it will work, but...

The release notes for Fedora Core 2 say users can run system-config-soundcard. I've run this several times and the only response I get is that it needs an active X server(!) Why it needs an X server to configure a soundcard is more than I can understand, but perhaps those who contend there is no such thing as creeping GUIism can explicate it satisfactorily. Did running this do any good? I have no idea...

Since someone mentioned /usr/share/sounds as a place for sound files, I went there. I clicked on one several times but don't think it did anything (I've got a hearing loss) so I used aumixer to turn up the master and PCM(?) volumes, both of which were set at minimum. And, IT WORKED! All I can figure is that, unless system-config-soundcard did something, it must have automatically recognized that I needed the ALSA driver and installed it during system setup. Adjusting aumixer is certainly necessary, though.

So, it's something to try, anyway. Why there's a separate ALSA mixer and whether it works, I don't know. Heck, I don't even know how to play a CD. But at least it makes noise, which is more than I've had since starting Linux.

Lee