Playing a CD

Lee Maschmeyer lee_maschmeyer at wayne.edu
Sun Jun 6 19:51:42 UTC 2004

(I wrote this message last night but I think my Fedora ate it. Here it is -
my apologies if it's a repeat.)
Hi,

I don't think sending this message is going to work. As with every
Linux upgrade, I'm having trouble getting mail out from at least one
of my accounts...

Yesterday I mentioned that my sound card is working. The program I
used to adjust the volume is, of course, aumix - not aumixer which
there ain't none.

I installed MPlayer today and, if I understand its output, it thinks
I'm using OSS drivers. So maybe they just improved OSS, or maybe I
misinterpret MPlayer. Who knows - I don't at this point. :-)

I can play CDs with the following alias:

alias playcd="cdda2wav -eqNB -D/dev/cdrom 2>/dev/null"

-e: Echo to sound card
-q: Quiet (not very!)
-N: Don't record the CD while playing it
-B: (in this context) Play the whole CD
-D: The device name

Note that I also get rid of stderr since cdda2wav doesn't really like
my CD player no matter what device I use or what interface type I
specify. It plays, though, so I just put the warnings in the black
hole.

I imagine there's a better way to play CDs. Hmm - trplayer? Anyway,
this one's good enough for somebody who claims to have executed
aumixer. <Grin>

Lee