Requested: Tips for Getting Started With Linux

Jeremiah Z. Rogers jzr at intrex.net
Tue Jun 8 02:00:42 UTC 2004

Good day, everyone. I'm a very capable Windows and DOS user and
troubleshooter, who is looking for a new challenge. I'm thinking of
installing Linux, and as I write this email, am downloading Fedora Core II.
I've never installed, or even used, Linux at all. I have a number of
questions with which anyone may be able to help, so here goes.

1. What're some steps which you found helpful as you went from another OS to
Linux?
2. What are the most popular screen-reading packages for Linux, specifically
Fedora II?
3. Are there any significant positives to running another version of Linux
than Core II, or are there any significant disadvantages to running Core II?
4. What information do I need to firmly grasp in order to install the OS to
begin experimenting with it?
5. What are any other tips or answers you might have which would be helpful?

Many thanks in advance for any responses which you provide.
Jeremiah Z. Rogers, jzr at intrex.net