Requested: Tips for Getting Started With Linux

John Heim jheim at wiscmail.wisc.edu
Tue Jun 8 14:20:04 UTC 2004

Probably the first thing you should know is that the question of the
advantages and disadvantages of each distro has caused many a religeous
war. I think the best advice I've seen is start with the distro that
someone you know is using so you can get personal help.

Something that I've said that has caused controversy before (but I still
believe) is that you should prepare yourself for a steep learning curve. A
lot of your skills as a Windows system administrator won't necessarily
translate into linux. With linux, you have to have a real do-it-yourself
attitude. You have to be willing to take the time to read the documentation.

With Windows, something either works or it doesn't. The key is knowing what
works. With linux, you can almost always get something to work if you try
hard enough and therefore analytical skills are more important.

I've seen so many people decide to give linux a try and quit after a few
days concluding that linux is complicated mess. Well, they spent years
acquiring their knowledge of Windows so now it seems easy. But I remember
switching from unix to Windows and being totally confused.  I remember
telling someone I thought it was insane that you essentially had to
memorize where the to go to do each system configuration task. And that's
still a problem because different versions of Windows have settings in
different places.

Anyway, my point is that you should anticipate that this will take some
time and not expect to be a guru overnight.