gnome and gnopernicus

Kenny Hitt kenny at hittsjunk.net
Wed Mar 3 05:34:35 UTC 2004

On Mon, Mar 01, 2004 at 02:17:47PM +0200, Rafi Cohen wrote:
> Hi, currently I'm using linux mandrake 9.2, a text-based linux. For
> accessibility, I'm using brltty 3.4.1 with Vario 40 braile display in
> powerbraile emulation.
> I would like to try gui-based linux. For the time being, this is not a
> must but quite soon my company may require this and till then I would like
> to have some experience.
> 1. Is there any gui-based Linux accessible to blind users? I understand
> that gnome and gnopernicus are, or should be the most accessible
> environment. Are they indeed effectively usable and comfortable for a
> software developper to do fluent work? Are there other options?

Hi.
I've been playing with Gnopernicus for the last year.  It does give
access to parts of Gnome, but it still has a long way to go before I
would use any of it's programs as replacements for my text console apps.
There isn't a good way to use the help system in Gnome, so even getting help on
the screen reader isn't possible.  The Gnome accessibility developers expect
you to be running the latest CVS versions of Gnome apps, so working
with Gnopernicus is not easy if you can't build the latest Gnome.
Hope this helps.
          Kenny