how to manage volume with alsamixer & new notebooks.

Nath nath.ml at free.fr
Mon Mar 8 20:09:59 UTC 2004

Jois <dupalle at screentiful.it> writes:

> Hi
> I have a serious problem. My soundcard works with alsa, only... It
> works but my notebook has a particular way to manage the volume:
> pressing fn+f11 it decreases, pressing fn+f12 it increases (fn is the
> function key at the left of the ctrl key in notebooks).
> But it works in windows, not in Linux! So I have to manage with
> alsamixer and it's such a difficulty! Does someone have the solution
> to make those *censored-word* deadkeys work?
I think it's an acpi support problem but sorry I can tell you
> more. Perhaps can you tell us your laptop exact model and perhaps
> someone else here will have the same and will be able to help you a
> little more regarding this issue ?
as a simple mixer you can try aumix which works with oss and alsa.
> One other thing... alsa does not start from the boot, I am really
> going mad for that; I need alsa and the soundcard driver (intel 8x0
> module) to work at the boot otherwise festival would not start when I
> will install it.

Perhaps alsa startup scripts are not properly located ? for this problem
tell us what distro you use and how you installed alsa (from 2.6 kernel,
with packages, from sources ?)

Nath