Fedora or Debian?

David Renström david.renstrom at skelleftea.mail.telia.com
Fri Mar 26 07:01:12 UTC 2004

Hi David (nice first name by the way)!

Well, LFS was perhaps not exactly what I was looking for yet. What I meant
by "clean" was that I don't want any software speech or Emacs/peak/
desktops installed from the beginning. Just the plain old bash and nothing
else so that I can customize as I want from there.

Thank you for offering to hack an ISO. I'm a little bit interested in
Slackware, but I will stick with RedHat 7.3 for now (installed it
yesterday, because I know that installation works). I guess that the newest
Slackware has USB support, right? I might need that for my Braille Voyager
on the destkop computer later on.

Kindest Regards,
/DAvid R.
At 08:42 2004-03-25 -0800, you wrote:
> >Hi Nigel!
> >
> >Seems interesting, but unfortunately that's not what I'm looking for, i.e=
> >.=20
> >I want a clean installation and absolutely no Emacspeak crap... I'm a=20
> >braille user, you know... :-) No seriously,  the main problem is that I=20
> >want a real installation and not just a bootable CD.
>

>If you want a real installation with no crap use LFS or
>slackware. Gentoo is also good. I can get you a bootable CD which
>can be used to build LFS since I'm working on getting accessibility
>built into that project because blind people have the right to have a
>way to do a clean install of Linux too and using an existing distro
>to build linuxfromscratch is not very good since you still have to
>chuck the old distro afterwords. It's a lot of work but it may be
>what you're looking for. Take a peek at wwww.linuxfromscratch.org,
>www.slackware.com and www.gentoo.org. Those are the homepages of
>linuxfromscratch, slackware and gentoo. Unfortunately none of those
>include BRLTTY but knoppix does so you can install gentoo from that
>and LFS can be built from knoppix though I'd recommend an LFS boot CD.
>If you let me know what braille display you have and you want to
>build one of these then I wil hack up an ISO and put it somewhere
>for you to grab.

* Phone:        +46(0)910-78 17 51                                 *
* Mobile:       +46(0)70-641 96 20                                 *
* Mail:         david.renstrom at skelleftea.mail.telia.com *
* ICQ#: 122060651                                              *