New to linux and need guidance with redhat 9 installation

Lee Maschmeyer lee_maschmeyer at wayne.edu
Tue Mar 30 15:13:30 UTC 2004

Janina wrote:

>is there some reason anyone has to install with sighted assistance
>instead of with Speakup's assistance?  I should think that,
>if one wants speech as the final result, one would also want speech
>during the install.

I use neither speech nor Speakup, so I'm not familiar with it. Do the
Speakup disks give you speech after you reboot? Do they modify the runlevel?
I hadn't heard that they do, but not having experienced it I have no way of
knowing.

One thing that should perhaps be mentioned more often than it is: When
people say Press Alt+F1 (or is it Alt+Control+F1) to get to a text login, it
means press the LEFT Alt key. The right one, which used to be Alt, is now
AltGr (however that's pronounced). When I was getting started I kept using
the right Alt and then swore up and down the keystroke didn't work. This is
probably well-known to those not using US English, though again I have no
personal experience.

Lee