What's a braille display that _works_?

Krister ekstrom crisekstrom at bredband.net
Tue May 4 19:11:57 UTC 2004

On Tue, May 04, 2004 at 05:09:45PM +0200, Mario Lang wrote:
> > Do any of you have experience, especially bad experience, with stuff on the
> > market today? Is there anything I need to stay away from because of its not
> > (yet) working on Linux?
>
> The only newly manufactured model I know of which does not yet work
> under Linux is the new USB display of Papenmeier.  But this is likely
> to change soon.
>
> Apart from that, a personal experience I've made several
> times in my life is that routing keys made of rubber-like material
> tend to get stuck at some point, generating quite some problems.

And another bad thing which the manufacturers seem to have steered clear
of was those pesky touch cursor routers, you know those where you just
had to touch a cursor routing key very lightly to send the cursor
flying, sometimes not where it was meant to go.<smiles>

> One other aspect I personally dislike are displays with very few novigation
> keys, like the Vario 40, which has only got 6 keys on the display.

I personally didn't find that to be a problem, but if you had taken your
display with you for a couple times, you'd notice that braille cells
tended to spread in your back pack. In other words, the Vario wasn't
very mecanically good in my experience.

> To give a bit of positive input too, I currently use a HandyTech
> Braille Star 40, which is a very nice ergonomic device.  Have a look
> at it if you can someday.

And i use a Tieman Braille Voyager, which i think is perfectly ok for
my use. I also have an Alva Satelite 544 or whatever they're called.
This is also a good display, however i haven't tested it with Brltty
yet.
--
/Krister