[crisekstrom at bredband.net: Compiling a kernel for the first time -- stupid newbie questions]

Krister ekstrom crisekstrom at bredband.net
Fri May 7 19:19:17 UTC 2004

----- Forwarded message from Krister ekstrom <crisekstrom at bredband.net> -----

Date: Fri, 7 May 2004 11:04:11 +0200
From: Krister ekstrom <crisekstrom at bredband.net>
To: speakup at braille.uwo.ca
Subject: Compiling a kernel for the first time -- stupid newbie questions

Hi listers,
Well i've desided to take the plunge and compile a Linux kernel. I'm
going from 2.4.25 to 2.6.2. I have read through README files for
different
kernels, and will probably read it again, but apart from that, what
should one think about when compiling? What is the difference between
the debian specific kernels and a generic one? I've downloaded my kernel
source from www.kernel.org, should i have installed the package with the
ready-made kernel tree instead? I know that Redhat has opinions about
generic kernels, is Debian as careful, or what one should say when it
comes to kernels?
Thanks for any help you can provide.
--
/Krister