speakup on fedora?

Janina Sajka janina at rednote.net
Thu May 20 13:27:22 UTC 2004

This is not true. At least, it is not true in most instances. In fact, I
have not seenb this problem with my Braille Lite, either.

Speakup is loaded and begins speaking long before the init scripts
launch kudzu. Therefore, the port is already engaged. Kudzu will not be
able to identify the speech synthesizer, however, and will offer to
treat it as a modem, which you should certainly decline.

On the other hand, if you are waiting to log into a console before
starting speech--I haven't tested that, and I don't know why you would
do that even.