Redhat rpm in Text Mode

Lee Maschmeyer lee_maschmeyer at wayne.edu
Thu May 20 19:02:40 UTC 2004

I'm probably missing something here, but the only times I've used rpm is to
install a file I've already acquired. To get the file itself use up2date:

up2date ntpd

You might have to configure up2date first, but if it's not a virgin system
this may already have been done.

Are you sure you don't already have ntpd? You could do:

rpm -q ntpd

which would tell you which version of ntpd the rpm database knows about.

By the way, universally and without exception (almost), everybody calls rpm
the Redhat Package Manager. From the manual, I get the idea it's supposed to
be one of those "reflexive definitions" and is actually the RPM Package
Manager. Not that anybody gives a darn...

Lee