braillified Fedora core 2 installation

Dave Mielke dave at mielke.cc
Mon May 24 15:44:57 UTC 2004

[quoted lines by Janina Sajka on 2004/05/24 at 11:31 -0400]

>I don't know what the issue is with cups, and I agree it should be resolved.
>All I can say is that I did the interactive boot after installing FC2--the one
>where you say 'yes' and 'no' to the loading of each module. Kudzu and Cups
>both crash Speakup when there's a synth on the serial port. I can't explain it
>further, but I can certainly reproduce it.

I don't see this with BRLTTY, and my display does use a serial connection.

>I would agree that a proper resolution should restore both apps, as they're
>both worthy and useful apps to have.

cups: I certainly wouldn't want to be without my printer. Even at the most
simplistic level, it enables me to leave notes for others.

kudzu: Setting "SAFE=" to "yes" in "/etc/sysconfig/kudzu" works great.

>I'm curious though, does brltty manage with firstboot? Or is that the same
>showstopper it is with Speakup?

firstboot is an X application so a user needn't worry about it unless he's
installing X. That being said, I do isntall X as my wife and children wouldn't
be happy were I not to do so. I must admit, though, that this is the first I've
ever heard of firstboot. This is because I let my children do my installs for
me so I've actually never done one on my own. With such a large family, I don't
have a spare computer to allocate to such experimentation.

http://familyradio.com/                   | http://mielke.cc/bible/