scanner usability

Cheryl Homiak chomiak at charter.net
Wed May 26 19:08:11 UTC 2004

I had put off purchasing a scanner because (1) I didn't know how
extensively I could use it in linux for scanning books and documents; and
(2) I don't have a usb port on my desktop. But it suddenly occurred to me
that I have usb on my laptop--DUH!!! So before I engage in this
expenditure (I have plenty of things on which I could and should spend my
definitely NOT unlimited resources), I'd like to know how much any of you
are using a scanner in linux, whether you get viable results for reading
and under what circumstances, and if you are able to do this without
sighted help and/or use of the gui.
Thanks.

Cheryl