copy protected pdf files

Christian Schoepplein chris at schoeppi.net
Sun Nov 14 13:10:19 UTC 2004

Hi!

On Sa, Nov 13, 2004 at 04:19:20 -0500, A. R. Vener wrote:
> I purchased  a set of instrucional CD's which contain  some
> files in pdf format.
>
> Unfortunately when I try to convert them with  pdf2txt, I get a message stating tthat the text
> cannot be copied.
>
> Once upon a time I vaguely recall hearing that there is a single bit in the pdf file
> that sets the copy protected  mode.
> Can anyone tell me if this is so and what the offset and bitmask would be?

I use pdftotext to get out the text of a protected pdf file. pdftotext
is part of the xpdf-utils package under debian. Normaly the programm
works with protected pdf files without any changes out of the box. Bbut
if it not works you can edit the sources of the package and comment out
an if-statement witch is responsible for the protection.

Hth,
Schoeppi

--
Christian Schoepplein | Alles rund ums WEB: http://www.connectweb.de