Slightly OT: Association for Blind and VI Computer Professionals?

John Heim jheim at wisc.edu
Tue Nov 23 17:29:59 UTC 2004

Anybody know of an association for blind and visually impaired computer
professionals in the USA? There's a British one but googling got me nothing
in the USA.

If there is no such association, I think we should start one. My visions of
what this org would do is provide support, information, and advocacy.

Examples of support it might provide:
1) Buy the ViaVoice licence if you have to buy 1000 at a time
2) Provide links to technical resources that would help blind programmers.

Information:
1) ADA news regarding how it applies to blind programmers
2) Resources for learning to use computers if you're blind or VI

Advocacy:
1) Contact companies with web sites that are not accessible
2) Contact legislators when a bill is pending regarding the rights of the
disabled
3) Support programmers who have been discriminated against or have had
their rights violated under the ADA.