Handling Mail on Debian

Andor Demarteau andor at nl.linux.org
Mon Oct 4 12:27:47 UTC 2004

On Mon, 4 Oct 2004, John J. Boyer wrote:

 > hello,
hi,

 > I just installed Debian Sarge. During boot-up it tries to start exim but
 > finds an error in the exim configuration file. Then it says exit. Does
 > this mean that exim is not running? The error was about a malformed macro
 > in line 4, which pointws to the exim configuration file directory in /etc.
exim is generally started from within inetd.
you may want to use eximconf to reeconfigure exim correctly.

 > How is procmail used? Is it needed at all, like fetchmail on Redhat? I'll
 > be using Mutt, since that came with Debian. How do I get it set up to send
 > and receive mail? It doesn't seem to produce a .Muttrc file in the home
 > directory.
procmail is not comperable with fetchmail it's not needed as well.
it's a mailfiter useable from within a .forward file in the users homedir.

Mutt needs it's own configuration.

Andor Demarteau                 E-mail: andor at nl.linux.org
student computer science        www: http://www.nl.linux.org/~andor
UU based & VU guest-student     jabber,icq,msn,voip: do ask ;)