Handling Mail on Debian

Kenny Hitt kenny at hittsjunk.net
Mon Oct 4 19:18:57 UTC 2004

Hi.
On Mon, Oct 04, 2004 at 12:19:28PM -0500, John J. Boyer wrote:
> Cheryl,
>
> I do have exim4. The error is in the file
> /var/lib/exim4/eximconfig.autogenerated It's a malformed macro at line 4.

That file is generated by a script that reads the files from the /etc/exim4 directory.  For
exim 4, you are supposed to either use dpkg-reconfigure exim4-config to
change options or edit the files in /etc/exim4 and run update-exim4.conf
by hand.  This is documented in my /etc/exim4/update-exim4.conf.conf
file.  Exim 4 is confusing from how things were done with exim 3.

Hope this helps.
          Kenny