Creating Swap Areas

Tim Chase blinux.list at thechases.com
Wed Oct 6 12:48:33 UTC 2004

> Why is a swap partition more efficient than a file?

Hopefully my previous post answered this.  If it didn't make
sense, feel free to ask about particulars of it and I can try to
address specific items where I wasn't clear.

> Finally, what is this CF/M / �CTOS partition that I have?

CP/M was a semi-predecessor to Dos, most commonly run on
Commodore computers.  (can't tell you much more than that--I was
an Apple kid, rather than a Commodore kid)  I'm guessing that the
partition table hadn't been properly configured or something of
the like.  I'd first make sure that it's not actually being used,
though I suspect that it's not--unless something totally bogus
happened during the install.  You've really gotta try fairly hard
to get most Linux installers to create a CP/M partition, and then
install on it.  Thus, I *suspect* it's fairly safe to blow it
away, and change the partition type to something useful like
ext2/3, ReiserFS, JFS, XFS, Linux Swap, or even FAT if you're
dual-booting with Windows/Dos and want to share files between
them...I tend to keep my MP3/OGG/WAV collection in a FAT
partition so I can play them from any of the OS's I boot
(Windows, Linux, or OpenBSD).

Just to make sure, I'd check with "fdisk" to see which
drive/partition it's on, and then check the output of "mount" to
see if it's mounted anywhere (and thus in use).  If it's not, I'd
say you're fairly safe to give it the big heave-ho.

-tim