Connection Refused on ssh

Mike Gorse mgorse at mgorse.dhs.org
Thu Oct 7 16:22:20 UTC 2004

Also, are you sure that sshd is running on the machine (ie, pidof sshd
returns something)?  If so, then try using ipchains or iptables to make
sure it isn't being firewalled.  At one point we had a RH box at work on
which I was trying to enable ssh, but the person who installed rh had
selected an option for a firewall, so I wound up needing to edit a file in
/etc/sysconfig (the file did say that manually editing it was not
recommended, but it didn't say how I was supposed to edit it if not
manually) to tell it to accept connections on port 22 as it did for 23 and
others.

-- Michael Gorse / AIM:linvortex / http://mgorse.home.dhs.org --