Shaving mp3s?

Lee Maschmeyer lee_maschmeyer at wayne.edu
Thu Oct 7 21:05:46 UTC 2004

I just installed the open source version of lame ("Lame Ain't an MP3
Encoder") that is licensed under the LGPL with a small modification.

lame.sourceforge.net

There is a license that affects distributors, or at least there was a
$15,000 fee in 1999 assessed by a lab in Germany. I wonder whether all the
MP3 broadcasters are really paying this; I suspect it must have met the
death it deserves...

But at any rate it doesn't affect us, as we can comply with the LGPL just as
we do with other items under that license. I haven't the slightest idea what
the LGPL says, but I don't distribute anything so I'm not worried.

So, we can use lame to convert the MP3 file to wav and then sox to convert
it to ogg and gain access to the plethora of tools available there...

Lee