Connection Refused on ssh

Rafael Skodlar raffi at linwin.com
Fri Oct 8 18:13:05 UTC 2004

On Fri, Oct 08, 2004 at 11:08:16AM -0500, John J. Boyer wrote:
> Janina,
>
> well, adding that line to /etc/hosts.allowed didn't jork. The machine
> won't even respond to telnet when I use its IP address. It will respond
> to ping, however.

No need for nmap and other advanced tools when you can simply tell
with telnet and netstat. When you are on that machine try

telnet localhost 22

and you should get a response like
Trying 127.0.0.1...
Connected to localhost.
Escape character is '^]'.
SSH-1.99-OpenSSH_3.5p1

telnet from other host to trouble machine should get similar response.

ssh configuration is all in /etc/ssh You need to make sure sshd is
running and if so try telnet test as mentioned above.

netstat -at
will tell you which ports the machine is listening to. Needless to say,
ssh needs to be among them. There should be a line like:

tcp        0      0 *:ssh   *:*  LISTEN

Also, make sure that the configuration for ssh daemon is correct, i.e.
the keys for the server were generated and stored in /etc/ssh. File
names are like ssh_host_dsa_key ssh_host_key.pub ssh_host_rsa_key.pub
etc.

--
Rafael