iptables (Re: Connection Refused on ssh)

Cheryl Homiak chomiak at charter.net
Sat Oct 9 00:37:44 UTC 2004

If this is your debian machine you are sshing from, it would be a new
installation and new computer, correct?
Sorry if this has been covered before, but it seems to me that if there
are no authentication methods to try (I'm not sure whether you included
the part that showed what methods had been tried), there's a good chance
your password authentication is disabled in the RH machine's ssh_config or
sshd_config or somewhere. Otherwise, it should ask for your password once
all other
methods have been tried. can we assume you are the same user on both
machines--you're sshing as jboyer (or whatever) on one machine to the same
username on the other machine?
I just went back and looked at your other posts, and the one that shows
your sshd config shows password authentication as no. Unless you changed
it, that's why you're not being prompted for a password. I believe that is
in both the ssh_config and the sshd_config so check both; I think the
debian machine's is usually set to yes by default but you might want to
check them too.
Sorry if I missed a post and this has already been taken care of.

--
Cheryl