Iptables and Logins at boot-up

Janina Sajka janina at rednote.net
Sun Oct 10 20:36:16 UTC 2004

Cheryl Homiak writes:
> Ok, I looked on google and verifyed that TLS is transport layer security.
> Where do I look for more info on this from the practical useage end?

Regretably, the only short answer to your question is that "it
depends--on your distribution of Linux, on your mail transport agent
(mta), and also on how certificates are properly generated with your
distribution." My only experience is with Debian and Fedora.

So, instead of giving you a step by step, let me provide some general
guidance.

Google is still your friend. I would put your mta, your distribution,
and TLS into the search field to find out more in a way that's
specifically helpful to you. Here's an example that works pretty well,
because I just tested it:

sendmail Fedora TLS

Some particular cautions:

*	Beware not to take an old article too literally. Things have
*	likely changed significantly, if you find yourself reading an
*	article on this subject that's three or four years old.

*	Read several articles before you commit yourself. Get a good
*	sense of how this works before you dive in.

*	Be sure to find out how things are supposed to be done on your
*	particular distribution. For myself I found the comments in
*	/etc/mail/sendmail.mc extremely helpful both on Debian and on
*	Fedora. For example, that's where I learned that Debian and
*	Fedora have stock scripts that generate the TLS certificates. I
*	believe all the distributions now provide the technology needed
*	to make authenticated mail work--so don't just rush off and
*	start recompiling things without first understanding how your
*	distro works.

Now, some specific reading suggestions:

>From Linux Journal:

And some docs I've found very helpful: