Installing FC2 with BRLTTY.

Cheryl Homiak chomiak at charter.net
Mon Oct 11 13:50:55 UTC 2004

actually, I just made a brltty.iso using Dave's script and the boot.iso on
the speakup site. It successfully booted both brltty and speakup for me at
the same time.

However, it did not work with my first installation cd, but this is
probably because my installation cds are from September. I am in the
process of downloading and burning the first current speakup-FC2 cd to see
whether this brltty.iso works with it. The error I got when I tried to use
my first cd was:
"no fedora cd found: no cd was found that matches your boot media
so I believe this means that each time you update Speakup on the site you
must also update the brltty.iso.

two caveats:
there has been a bug that caused some strange problems with data flow
through the braille display halting until a key was pressed when speakup
and brltty were used together. so either make sure this bug is squashed or
advise people not to boot the installation with both speakup and brltty.

Second, I did get the following warnings when making the brltty.iso (using
brltty-3.5.tar.gz since that was the stable version):

sys_linux.o(.text+0x136): In function `loadSharedObject':
/tmp/rhmkiso.C2w0zf/brltty-3.5/Programs/sys_shlib_dlfcn.h:21: warning: Using 'dlopen' in statically linked applications requires at runtime the shared libraries from the glibc version used for linking
../Drivers/Virtual/braille.o(.text+0x804): In function `setInetAddress':
/tmp/rhmkiso.C2w0zf/brltty-3.5/Drivers/Virtual/braille.c:286: warning: Using 'gethostbyname' in statically linked applications requires at runtime the shared libraries from the glibc version used for linking
../Drivers/Virtual/braille.o(.text+0x837):/tmp/rhmkiso.C2w0zf/brltty-3.5/Drivers/Virtual/braille.c:293: warning: Using 'endhostent' in statically linked applications requires at runtime the shared libraries from the glibc version used for linking
../Drivers/Virtual/braille.o(.text+0x7bd):/tmp/rhmkiso.C2w0zf/brltty-3.5/Drivers/Virtual/braille.c:308: warning: Using 'getservbyname' in statically linked applications requires at runtime the shared libraries from the glibc version used for linking
../Drivers/Virtual/braille.o(.text+0x7ce):/tmp/rhmkiso.C2w0zf/brltty-3.5/Drivers/Virtual/braille.c:315: warning: Using 'endservent' in statically linked applications requires at runtime the shared libraries from the glibc version used for linking
[...]

Hth, though I'm sure you all are way ahead of me and probably know all
this.

--
Cheryl