Questions about installing Gnopernicus.

Kenny Hitt kenny at hittsjunk.net
Tue Oct 12 11:27:47 UTC 2004

Hi.
On Mon, Oct 11, 2004 at 12:40:24PM -0700, Darrell Shandrow wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I need to install Gnopernicus in hopes that it will provide a level of accessibility to a work-related Sun Java accessibility that is better than that I am not currently getting from my existing screen reader.  I am in the preparation stage now, but could really use some advice as soon as possible.  I'd like to start with the following questions:
>
> 1.
> What is currently the best Linux distro for installation of Gnopernicus?

Some version of Gnopernicus has made it into most Linux distros.
Slackware 10 and Debian testing or unstable have Gnopernicus 0.8.4.  I
didn't use Slackware for long, but Slackware doesn't seem to have a festival
package.  Unless you rebuild the gnome-speech package to support another
software synth you install, or build a festival package, you won't get
much from speech and Slackware's Gnopernicus.  Debian's Gnopernicus 0.84
talks right out of the box, but you will need to install Java and build
the java-access-bridge from source to get access to Java Apps.  Be
aware, you still might be out of luck with access to the app you need.
Gnopernicus isn't documented very well, and it seems to have stability
issues.  I believe the latest release of Gnopernicus is up to 0.99.  You
might want to build it to see if it is more stable, or will give you
access to the app you need.

> 3.
> What is a good place for documentation (tech info is fine but I am not a programmer) on Gnopernicus and its installation?
> 4.
> Is it ultimately necessary to manually build this software?

The only docs I know about are on the Gnopernicus web sight.

http://www.baum.ro/gnopernicus.html

The version I'm using still can't access the Gnome help system, so the
web sight is the only source for docs.  You will probably need to build
the latest version of Gnopernicus from source to get the best results.

Good luck and please post with your results.

Hope this helps.
          Kenny