How similar is commercial Linux?

Lee Maschmeyer lee_maschmeyer at wayne.edu
Fri Oct 15 17:16:53 UTC 2004

Hi all,

When our site discontinued its 35+ year use of IBM mainframe-based software
for its administrative tasks, it switched to Solaris. At the time, brltty
ran only on Linux, and since Sun-Linux docs said it would be patterned after
Red Hat 7, I installed Red Hat on my home and work computers.

Now we're starting to investigate Red Hat Enterprise Linux, and since I'm
literally the only one around here who uses Linux of any sort they're asking
me a lot of questions.

How portable is my experience with Red Hat versions from 8 to Fedora 2 (soon
to include Fedora 3 which is slated for release ca. November 1)? Is
Enterprise Linux Desktop about comparable to Fedora, 4 CDs etc? Does anybody
know how big Enterprise Linux AS is and how the file layouts and included
products compare?

Thanks much for any info,

--
Lee Maschmeyer
<lee_maschmeyer at wayne.edu>

"Never imagine yourself not to be otherwise than what it might appear
to others that what you were or might have been was not otherwise than
what you had been would have appeared to them to be otherwise."
     --Lewis Carroll