How similar is commercial Linux?

John Heim jheim at wisc.edu
Fri Oct 15 18:38:28 UTC 2004

At the University of Wisconsin, we have switched over to Red Hat Advanced
server from various Red Hat versions , mostly 7 through 9. I was at 9 when
I installed AS 3.0.

I actually had some problems with RH AS that I didn't have with RH 9. The
network connection occasionally gets really slow. And the error messages in
the syslog don't mean anything to anybody I have asked. That includes on
usenet and on the mailing lest of the local lug.

I can fix the problem temporarily by restarting network services so it's
not a killer. It's good thing this is not a production machine though.

Another problem we had was that the quota command and the du command gave
different results. You can find out how much space a directory tree takes
up with the du command. Theoretically, the quota command should give the
same number if all the files in that directory are owned by the same user
and that user has no files outside that directory tree.

But it didn't. So a user might put 50 Mb of files on our machine and the
quota command would report that he had 30 Mb. Sometimes it was more,
sometimes it was less.

I never saw these problems in RH 9. I know the networking problem wasn't
there before I installed RH AS. And I tested the quota system plenty before
installing RH AS and never noticed any inconsistencies.

The reason why we are still using RH AS is that Oracle supports it and not
fedora.