Mounting a USB flash drive on Debian Sarge

Andor Demarteau andor at nl.linux.org
Sat Oct 23 07:23:04 UTC 2004

On Fri, 22 Oct 2004, John J. Boyer wrote:

 > My new Dell computer has no floppy drive. It does have a removable
 > "keyring" USB flash drive. The machine is dual-boot, and both Linux and
 > Windows recognize this device. Windows assigns it to drive E. Linux does
 > not say which device name has been assigned to it, and a search through
 > /dev did not turn up anything that seemed likely.
just to check, do you have usb-mass storage loaded and/or present?
USB deviceses use scsi-disk-devices for this.
If you pluig it in, the demsg output (or output on the console) lists the
partiition-table for i.e. /dev/sda

 > I would like to use this
 > device to transfer data between Linux and Windows. How do I mount it? What
 > device type do I use?
it's actually a normal disk in the sense of mounting.
use the /dev/sd* (scsi-disk) devices and most of these devices have a vfat
fs on them (don't do auot cause that sometiems mounts it as a dosfs which
kills your long filenmaes).

Andor Demarteau                 E-mail: andor at nl.linux.org
student computer science        www: http://www.nl.linux.org/~andor
UU based & VU guest-student     jabber,icq,msn,voip: do ask ;)