SANCB Request (fwd)

Janina Sajka janina at rednote.net
Wed Oct 27 13:28:17 UTC 2004

There's a significant amount of open source software used in various
U.S. governmental applications. In fact, Security Enhanced Linux
(SE-Linux) was created by a U.S. government agency.

The topic of accessibility in U.S. Federal information technology
environments is also covered by law. The law popularly known as Sec. 508
requires the U.S. Government to buy accessibility technology whenever
commercially available, among other things. This has increased the level
of activity around making open source technologies accessibile where
they are not accessible today. Of course, as has already been pointed
out, they are very accessible today for many persons with disabilities,
but not under terms of definition that most of the public might use.

There's an annual conference in Washington, DC regarding Sec. 508 and
U.S. Government technology called IDEAS. It will take place this coming
week, November 2 and 3. Yours truly is on a panel regarding open source
and accessibility under the "Emerging Technologies" track at this
conference. Also, Peter Korn of Sun Microsystems is one of the keynote
speakers at this conference. Find out more about IDEAS 2004 at:

http://www.ideas508.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=custom.att_si_theater