oracle linux installation bad news

John Heim jheim at wisc.edu
Fri Sep 24 17:48:20 UTC 2004

At 07:55 PM 9/23/2004, Jude DaShiell you wrote:
>For 10G at least not all of the installation can be done using character
>interface.  Doing a google search on "oracle linux installation" will
>bring up as one of its results werner pusche's page and that's my source.
>I'm not happy about that since I've been studying oracle sql at work and
>figured to do a linux install so I could get some practice at home if X
>wasn't required.  Since that's the case, I think I'll stick with presql
>and mysql.

Just today I got the Oracle client software installed entirely via an ssh
connection. You have to run an x server but you don't have to do anything
via the GUI. I even got the perl DBD::Oracle to compile although that was
very difficult and I'm not entirely sure what I did to finally make it work.

I don't know if you can install the server entirely via the text interface
though. That was one thing I tried when I was trying to compile
DBD::Oracle. It ended w/o generating a "silent" install log file.