ssh Problems jith Elba

peter.rayner at cea.fr peter.rayner at cea.fr
Sat Apr 2 20:19:51 UTC 2005

John J. Boyer writes:
>i new have my Elba working with a wireless card from anywhere in my home
>office.
Ah good, which wireless card are you using?
>ssh-ing into my main computer works except that if I don't use
>she Elba for a ceuple of hours the connections are dropped. The braille
>display is set to go off after 300 seconds. The main board and system
>have sleep values of 0, which is supposed to shut off sleep mede. what
>is causing the connections to be dropped? it is not my main computer.
Are you sure?  I've had this kind of behaviour under two
circumstances:
1) autologout is active on the machine you're logging in to.
This will log you out after a certain amount of time if tere's no
input.  It's usually an hour.
set autologout 1440
will make it a day I think.
2) the dhcp  server is cutting you off.  I had one router  do this to
me very frequently indeed if it thought i wasn't paying it enough
attention, kind of like a spoilt child.
Doing something like
ping -i 60 your-target-machine &
seemed to do the trick there.
Of course I've not used wireless so there might be no end of other
explanations.
cheers
Peter