saving and opening.doc files in linux

Osvaldo blinuxman at tuxfamily.org
Tue Apr 5 09:32:11 UTC 2005

Hi,

On Tue, Apr 05, 2005 at 10:26:28AM +0200, Gustafsson Kristoffer (elev) wrote:
> Hello!
> How do I save and open.doc files in linux?
You can open .doc files in OpenOffice.
You can also save thme from OpenOffice.
But you don't have access to OpenOffice because you don't have access to X
on a functional way yet.
You can also use antiword, or catdoc or wv to convert .doc files to txt or
html under Gnu/Linux.

> I want to leave windows and use only linux, but when I tried my teacher
> got angry with me because I couldn't save as a wordfile when he wanted it.

You have to tell your teacher to read some documentation about open source,
the gnu philosophy versus the closed formats of some dominant and
monopolistic closed-source software company: Word isn't a standard, it's
just MS' standard.
It is completely absurd to work under a Gnu/Linux system while continuing to
look how to produce documents in a proprietary format.
Maybe if your teacher need some good presentation of articles, reports, etc,
you can find your happyness in tools like TeX/LaTeX: you can start with a
.tex file and produce professional printing .ps, .pdf, .eps, also convert to
navigable html, etc.

If you can bring this to your teacher maybe he will better understand the
absurd goal of making docs under Gnu/Linux. I think so.

Success!

Osvaldo.