saving and opening.doc files in linux

Janina Sajka janina at rednote.net
Tue Apr 5 15:45:46 UTC 2005

You can read doc files, but you cannot conveniently write them--unless
you can get Open Office to work for you, which is probably not going to
happen.

Your teacher needs a different attitude, and you should not be shy to
say so--but, of course, you should not say so so bluntly.

For example, instead of saying "get a new attitude," you might ask:

	Don't you actually mean that I should give you something that
you can read and that communicates to you the work that I have done for
this class? Isn't that what you care about? Surely, you don't really
mean that I should first go make Bill Gates a little richer than he is
today in order to pass this class?

The point is that you can write ASCII very easily and your teacher can
read that. He/she might complain that it doesn't look pretty, which is
when you might go to the next argument. But, you could offer to learn a
little html, which will look quite pretty and isn't hard to learn. It's
worth learning to write simple html, and this should be an acceptable
compromise--though you may have to press a bit to get it.

If the teacher persists about word, ask who is supposed to pay the
thousand dollars (approximately) to get the Windows software that's
required to make Word work for you--and who's to pay for the training
you need to get proficient in it.

Then again bring up the point of what learning is all about. Is it about
using particular tools? Do they really care whether you use
Kimberly-Clark paper and Papermate pens? Or do they care that you learn
the subject and how t communicate what you have learned.

The problem is probably that the teacher is barely capable of using
computers, because he/she didn't grow up with them as has struggled to
learn. This may not be the case with your teacher, but it is a very
common story today. When your generation becomes the teachers of
tomorrow's students, things will be different--but this is how things
are today. So, most often, today's teachers don't understand these
things until they have been carefully explained to them.

I encourage you to be bold. Be respectful, but stand up for principles.
If you do that, you will learn the most important lesson that can be
learned in life.