configuring speakup to use a software synthesizer.

Willem van der Walt wvdwalt at csir.co.za
Mon Apr 18 13:57:58 UTC 2005

Hi,
It sounds like you have done all the difficult stuff already.
The following sequence of commands which i execute from a script called
from rc.local starts my speakup using flite.
/usr/local/bin/speech-dispatcher -d
sleep 10
modprobe speakup_sftsyn

/usr/local/bin/speechd_up -d
HTH
Willem

On Mon, 18 Apr 2005, Levi Campbell wrote:

> I got rather fed up with emacspeak because I couldn't use it with every
> application, so I looked into using speakup with a software synthesizer.
> I've compiled speakup and the software synthesizer option into the kernel
> and set sftsyn as my default synthesizer, I've emerged speech-dispatcher,
> speechd-up, ALSA, and flite onto my system and I've created the device
> nodes, what else do I need to do?

believed to be clean.